Sunday, July 22, 2007

finer arts..

one generally ends up being in total awe of people who are effortlessly able to do things that person cant.. try as he/she might...
me..I jus fall short of placing the no-sayers and the bargainers on a pedestral and worshipping them..
a statement by anita nair in one of her books..somethin in the lines of... u realise u are an adult when u are able to say no without that twinge of guilt accompanying it..on my part i realised why people still give me that exasperated when will u grow up look for no apparent fault of mine...
wats so difficult with uttering a n-0 to a stranger ... i dunno.. feeling like a total jerk.. the feeling could be for a fleeting second or longer as the situation demands... automatically accompanies the utterance of no..
console myself sayin that for all u know it could be a mahatma like quality...
kinda hoping that this piece of convo sees the light of the day..
somebody:could u .......?
me:nope.....
or
s:will u .....?
me:nope...
..and that I emerge out of it feeling ekdum happy....
guess it s a direct cause and effect relationship that defines why I am such a loser at bargaining..
i generally presume that its my moral responsibility to pay the amount asked for..
outings .. I generally accompany person/people who is/are a goddess/goddesses at bargaining(G.A.B)...it helps...
dialogue ensuing between the whatever seller and the G.A.B..(with me as the spectator)..

w.s:150 only madam .. export quality...
G.A.B:(looking him straight in the eye..):50..
me:(sputtering soundlessly..)wat..?
w.s:90 madam.. no profit for me otherwise madam...
G.A.B:50...(and starts walkin .. I am still standin...)
w.s:allright 50.. take it....
me:omg..!wat..??

replace G.A.B with me and the bargain session invariably starts with the rub-neck-tug-earlobe warmup..a sincere effort to get the magic words out...and closing price quote of 100...
have people takin classes for unheard things nowadays and makin loads of money...any idea bout a how to bargain or a how to say no class goin on...?
after all .. they are arts too..and finer ones at that..

3 comments:

ATJ said...

com - no com ;-)maybe a bit o advice. learn from the goddesses asap. they say the whole of the American market harps on sales and bargains.. Good luck :-)

archana said...

american market...???wassat...??:-)

Caladrius said...

hehe, lucky you. I got no GAB with me. :)